Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Word from God

Happy Sunday! Have you read your bible today? or this week? or this month? or this year?

Many people think that their time spent in church is enough time spent in the Bible, but it's not! The Bible is personal. I know it's hard to understand (not the Bible, but the concept), but even from my own reading I know that each time I read, I get something different out of THE SAME SCRIPTURES I've read over and over again. It's as if He highlights what I need on whatever day I'm there.

His Word is our map, our "how to" instructions, our lifetime lessons to be learned (with examples provided). Life is a journey - and I never go on a journey without directions! So why wouldn't I open His roadmap?

You know, our God is the perfect parent, loving us so much He wants to help us succeed in every way He can. Yet loving us enough to discipline us when we do wrong. But how many of us want to close our eyes to His direction when we know we're doing something He wouldn't want us to. I know I'm guilty. The difference is that unlike our earthly parents, He can see everything we do...and think...and feel. There's nowhere to hide, and no way to deny anything.

Sometimes it's hard. His word is a mirror that doesn't see what's on the outside all clean and proper, but it reflects what's on the inside, in our hearts and minds. This is definitely one mirror we all need to look into. And although we may not like what we see, we will always know it is true.

Have you ever had something in your eye and you need to look in a mirror so you can get it out? Well, that's what the Bible is like. It shows the things we really should eliminate, things that are hurting us, or making us sick. So take a look into that mirror today. You might be surprised by what you see!

James 1:22-25 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment